argyle

Sunday, April 29, 2012

New Covenant Ministry

On Saturday, I was trundling all over the dining hall putting food on peoples' plates.  And it was the end of the semester.  And I had homework to do.  And I was tired.  And there were things on my mind.  And my legs were tired of trundling me all over for the last two hours.  Remember how your parents told you that when you memorize verses, the Holy Spirit can bring them to your mind when you need them?  Well, I can't claim that the Holy Spirit gave them these verses, but they came in my mind and helped me get through the rest of the dinner shift.


"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."


This reminded me of the strength that God gives to complete daily tasks.  Christ's strength is absolutely sufficient for every weakness.  We receive sufficiency from God so that we may be sufficient New Covenant ministers.  Sometimes, New Covenant ministry seems like a very spiritual/theological concept somewhat detached from the dining hall and my tired trundling feet.  But these verses remind me that even putting vegetables on peoples' plates is New Covenant ministry if my sufficiency comes from God.


P.S.  You know what else I learned this week?  Never let things (aka, graduation stuff) take up more focus that Christ. Nothing works properly when the focus is off.

1 comment: