argyle

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

In Which We Make French Press Coffee




After supper the other evening, I was feeling in a coffee mood. I decided to use the Ghiradelli Caffe Gourmet Coffee I had rescued from the trash stack when white glove hit the girls’ dorm. But because I’m neither a coffee connoisseur nor the daughter of a coffee connoisseur, making coffee meant dragging the coffee maker up from the basement where it is stored when there is no company around to drink coffee. And I didn’t feel like doing that. So instead, I decided to make coffee in a French press. Now, nobody in my house has a French press, either, but we did have a sauce pan and a coffee filter. So, the following is a recipe for making French press coffee without a French press in 9 easy steps.

Step 1: Put 1 ½ cups of water in the saucepan and turn the burner on hi.

Step2: Text Graham and ask how long to “soak” the coffee grounds in the water.

Step 3: Remove boiling water from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

Step 4: Receive a text from Graham saying to be sure and not boil the water.

Step 5: Drop 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds into the hot water and put the lid on the saucepan. Brew 3 minutes.

Step 6: While the coffee is brewing, put 4 tablespoons of real, raw, cow’s milk cream into a mug and heat it in the microwave.

Step 7: Place a coffee filter inside a small strainer and place the strainer on top of the mug. Pour the coffee from the pot, through the strainer, and into the mug.

Step 8: Add a 1 ½ shots of English Toffee syrup.

Step 9: Stir and enjoy!

So, the next time you crave coffee and don’t have a coffee maker, you can make French press on the stove in a saucepan. When you do, please comment on this post and tell me about your experience. Together, we can make this blog a gold mind of stove top French press experiences that will benefit later generations.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe! Your so funny Celeste! Unfortunately when I need coffee I don't think I could wait that long for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha.. this is HILARIOUS!!! :) way to improvise :)

    ReplyDelete