argyle

Monday, May 14, 2012

Philly Hall Adventures!


This summer, I'm sticking around here at school and working in the admissions department and starting seminary classes.  Since students can't stay in the dorm during the summer, I am experiencing independent life in an apartment on campus.  Here are some of the adventures that have filled this last week.

1. Getting all my stuff out of my dorm room, down the hall, down three stories, into the car, across campus, into Philadelphia Hall, up a flight of stairs, into the apartment, and (this part is still in process) into proper places.  Much more difficult than expected…J  Moving Figaro (my fish) was probably the most difficult part.  His was in his little plastic container inside his empty fish bowl, and his ride was rather jostling.  Twice he had a very bad scare, but he seems to have recovered and is devouring all of the fish food I drop into his bowl.

2. Learning to use the gas stove.  After some last minute “the-cafeteria-is-closing-tomorrow!” grocery shopping, I came home with enough vegetables and dairy products to sustain life until I could do proper grocery shopping.  The first evening, after shredding potatoes and carrots, adding ranch, adding an assortment of spices, and dumping the whole concoction into a skillet to cook until tender, I discovered I had never worked a gas stove before.  Fortunately, a helpful neighbor had shared her mad skills…

3. Making the queen size bed here is much more difficult than the twin I’ve slept in all my life.  You have to get up on the bed to smooth the sheets in the corner by the wall and that rumples the sheets on other parts of the mattress, and the process is, well, complicated.

4. Watching the family of Canada geese.  The parental geese keep a close watch over their four waggling, waddling goslings.

5. Supper time is very quiet.  So quiet, in fact, that I can hear myself chewing (that’s probably more detail than you wantedJ).  It doesn’t take long to eat or clean up the meal.  It takes a bit longer to prepare the food.  My window faces the road, so I entertain myself by watching the cars while eating.

6. Listening to R. C. Sproul while cleaning is a happy habit to make.  This past week, he was speaking on about important men in church history.

“To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:” – Ecclesiastes 3:1

4 comments:

  1. i love all of this.
    Ps... I play music loudly so that I don't have to listen to myself chew... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great solution to that problem! And with the four speakers in my room, they should be able to produce enough sound to do that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! After living by myself for a summer, I learned to have music playing all the time...I needed background noise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it the other night, and it really works!

    ReplyDelete