argyle

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Do I Value What Paul Valued?

"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

- Philippians 3:7-14

1. What Paul Didn't Value

Paul didn't place spiritual value on his religious background, his ethnicity, his personal achievements, his attitude, or his high morality. He used the word "dung" to describe these things. His achievements gave him as much standing with God as manure. Why did he have this attitude towards these things? Because he wanted to win Christ.

2. What Paul Valued

Paul placed spiritual value on his position in Christ. He placed value in God's righteousness credited to him because of Christ' death. None of these were things he did; they were gifts given to him by God.

3. What Paul Wanted

Paul wanted resurrection. He understood that resurrection opened the door to ultimate Christlikeness. He wanted to "lay hold" (NKJV) of this goal of Christlikeness because Christ had "laid hold" of him and rescued him from a life of self-centered pride and sin.

4. What Paul Did

Because of what he didn't value, what he did value, and what he wanted, Paul did three things. First, he forgot the things of his old life that he could have valued. Second, he reached for the things before (possibly Christlikeness or resurrection). Third, he pressed for the prize of God's high calling in Christ.

What about me (and you)?

Do I value God's gift of salvation and sanctification? Or do I I value personal achievements more? Oh, yes, I say. I value God and His gifts most. But my actions demonstrate my values. What do I do everyday? What what do I fill my time? What occupies my thoughts?

"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ....That I may know Him."

1 comment:

  1. Dear Celeste Mamie,

    Greetings in the most precious name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and also wish you a very happy and Christ centered New year.

    I am in the Pastoral ministry in the city of Mumbai, India for last 31yrs. We have ministry in the slums of Mumbai for the poorest of poor and we reach out to such people with the love of Christ through various compassionate activities to give them better life through Jesus Christ. Many young people from the West have visited us and worked with us for a period of two to three months. It has been a life changing experience and you "sisters of common life would definately long for such experience. If you are interested plese let me know on my below email ID

    Well I am much impressed by your blog Honey Comb and I am sure many who read your blog would be blessed and enriched. Keep it up and the Lord will bless you.

    Pastor Diwakar Wankhede
    Mumbai, India

    ReplyDelete