argyle

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Holy Week, Pt. 2

"The New Covenant in My Blood"

Listening to J. S. Bach’s St. Matthew’s Passion, I am reminded on another significant even during Holy Week: the institution of the Lord’s Supper. Of deep devotional and theological significance, the Lord’s Supper reminds believers of Christ’s sacrifice of Himself to the Father and of their beautiful place in redemptive history.

Old Testament believers looked forward by faith to the forgiveness of their sins by God’s Redeemer. In evil times of apostasy, the prophets reminded the Jewish people of God’s promise that someday their sins would not only be covered, but taken away. God called His promise the New Covenant.

“I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.” (Ezekiel 36:25-27, ESV)

After celebrating the Passover with His disciples, Jesus’ words as He institutes the Lord’s Supper show that God’s Old Testament promise was about to be fulfilled:

“And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.” (Luke 22:19-20, NKJV)

With Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, God’s promise was fulfilled. Today believers receive forgiveness, a new heart, and the Holy Spirit. Truly, Christ was the fulfillment of the whole law and the prophets, for it was Him of whom they spoke. The New Covenant, by which comes salvation through Christ’s blood, extends forgiveness to each of God’s people.

This Holy Week, meditate on the significance of “the new covenant in My blood,” the single greatest turning point in redemptive history


.


No comments:

Post a Comment