argyle

Sunday, October 9, 2011

God's Words in English

Imagine that God’s Word looked like this:

To over 340 million people, speaking 2,000 languages, God’s Word does look like that.* It is written in a language they cannot understand, and because they cannot understand it, their lives are not changed by its power. This semester of Greek has reminded me how privileged I am to have God’s Word in my own language. Greek is vivid, colorful, and precise, but I didn’t grow up speaking it. I can’t do my devotions in it. Today, because of John Wycliffe’s English translation, I have the privilege of reading this passage in the language I understand naturally:

Thank you, God, for writing Your Words down and allowing people to put them into a language that I can understand. Thank you that Your Word is living and powerful. Thank you for changing my life with it.


*www.wycliffie.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment